I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it. (Terry Pratchett)
7 tools inside the box
I got an email that said, “I finally got a job networking.”
The job came from handing out lots of business cards. Often you get lucky working inside the box. The box is where the proven tools are stored. It is where most jobs are found. Sure, think outside the box. It might work. First, use all the tools in the box.
This is the box
- Look for a job while still employed, if you can.
- Concentrate most on the jobs and companies you want most.
- Use an accomplishment filled resume – it proves you can do the job.
- Get the credentials of an expert.
- Constantly network – let people know you are looking, follow up.
- Watch the job ads – internet and newspaper.
- Use recruiters and constantly follow up with them.
Are you using all the tools inside the box?
Something to do today
Concentrate on a different tool every day or every week of your job search. It helps keep the hunt from getting boring.
How to wait for the next interview
Be a squeaky wheel
Get the credentials of an expert